Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I am switching from 40mg daily fluoxetine to amitriptyline.

Customer Question

I am switching from 40mg daily fluoxetine to amitriptyline. Please could you advise on a dosing schedule for the amitriptyline. I know i have to start off at a low dose but i also know it will take a higher dose than 10mg to help with my anxiety. When can i increase dose and when will the fluoxetine leave my system? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today

It takes several weeks for your level of fluoxetine to dissipate. You should not stop it suddenly. It should be weaned off slowly.

Amytriptyline is an old medication not often used. A common dose is 40 mg at bedtime. But doses vary widely from 10-150 mg daily. You must consult with your Dr for proper dosing.

I hope this helps