Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi my ferratin level is low but my hb is normal. I have been

Customer Question

Hi my ferratin level is low but my hb is normal. I have been taking ferrous fumerate for 6 months. Before taking ferrous fumerate my ferratin level was 7 it is now 14. I have also recently been experiencing severe joint pain around my elbow joints. What other blood tests could my doctor carry out to rule out any other conditions?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

I suspect you could have celiac disease.

Celiac disease is an inherited allergy to wheat gluten. You might ask what this has to do with iron but quite commonly, people with celiac have an altered intestinal surface.

This surface doesn't absorb iron.

That is the only explanation for why you are taking oral iron and your ferritin is still low.

celiac also commonly causes joint pain

I suggest you get tested. Ask your doctor for a tissue transglutaminase antibody blood test and an anti endomesium blood test.

Many people have diarrhea with celiac disease but actually contrary to popular belief most don't

So you can have no stomach/GI symptoms whatsoever and have this.

Treatment involves avoiding gluten in your diet.

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)
I noticed that our chat is not complete.

My main goal is your 100% satisfaction and for you to consider this service excellent. If you are not 100% satisfied, just click reply and I will happily provide more information.