Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My name isXXXXX have been experiencing sleep difficulties

Customer Question

My name isXXXXX have been experiencing sleep difficulties since mid Sept. It got progressively worse until I could no longer keep working at my teaching. My GP is seeing me on a weekly basis for the last 6 weeks as well as availing of other therapies. Though my general health is improved slightly my sleeping is still 4 to 5 hours max and I feel so mentally exhausted at this stage. Can you advise me in any way?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you are having such problems with sleep.

Dr. David :

poor sleep can be a very complicated issue to fix.

Dr. David :

many things can affect sleep.

Dr. David :

drinking coffee, alcohol, lack of exercise, urinating too frequently at night, sleep apnea can all negatively affect sleep.

Dr. David :

there are doctors who just specialize in sleep medicine and they use a long questionnaire for patients to fill out to get an idea of their lifestyle and exercise habits and alcohol and coffee habits and snoring and sleeping habits

Dr. David :

to help improve sleep.

Dr. David :

and some patients have a sleep study where they sleep in a hospital bed hooked to wires and monitors to check on breathing and oxygen levels to see if oxygen levels drop too low during sleep which can affect good sleep.

Dr. David :

so as you can see, this is quite a complicated issue.

Dr. David :

you have to let me know if you drink alcohol, if you snore or might have sleep apnea, if you drink coffee, if you exercise, if you urinate frequently at night

Dr. David :

you might need to see a sleep doctor and get a full sleep evaluation and sleep study.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.

JACUSTOMER-6ctr7nvb- :

no alcohol no caffeine yes to snoring do not urinate that frequently

Dr. David :

why did you rate poor service?

Dr. David :

if you are snoring you could have sleep apnea.

Dr. David :

and this could be causing your poor sleep.

Dr. David :

are you exercising in the evenings? exercise too close to bed time can affect sleep as well.