Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I would say for the last 4 years I have suffered from burping

Customer Question

I would say for the last 4 years I have suffered from burping episodes. It started when I was about 19 years old, I had continous belching - to describe it would be like I could feel air constantly rising from my stomach to my throat and then I would have to 'push' the air out. This was continious for days (and the only time I felt relief was when eating), when going to the Doctor they told me it was acid reflux and I was told of certain foods to avoid, have a plain diet and take antacids/omeprazole and it should go away in a few days.
It eventually did, but I did keep having these episodes again where suddenly I would get this air/burping contiously - antacids/omeprazole did not help, I was told that the omeprazole takes a few days to work and was just given the same advice again. So this would repeatedly happen, and it felt as though when I got it, i got it - there was nothing I could do, but deal with it and let it go within a few days. Nothing helped.
So this happened on an off for a few years and then about a year ago the burping got more aggressive and I started to be sick with it, bring up white foam and/or reject food.
Certain types of food trigured it, and I kept away from them.
I started getting acid reflux every night, with heartburn so took one 20mg omeprazole everyday to control that - which it does, I do not get hearburn anymore with that.
But the air/belching/rejecting food/belching up white foam and the food my stomach disagreed with till it all comes out has gotten worse.
So I have kept away from the foods that irritate my stomach, take one 20mg omeprazole everyday and that has seem to be fine for quite a while. Until a few days ago I caught a Stomach Virus and was aggressiveley sick multiple times - this has seemed to really aggravate and bring on these belching symtpoms again and now this has been continious for days since the virus.
I continious feel like I need to burp, with air rising from my stomach that I need to 'push out'.. and if I let the burps come out it eventually leads to white foam and food being brought up. It's when I wake up till I got to sleep for the past few days (Since I got this stomach virus). I am now fully recovered from the virus and feel fine in myself, but this has left me with this belching/air/sickness that isn't going away.
I would like natural remedies if possible.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

you should talk to your doctor about getting testing for H Pylori bacteria

Dr. David :

which can live in your stomach and cause excessive stomach acid and gas production in your stomach which can cause gas to come up.

JACUSTOMER-gxz4odyh- :

Ok, is this something to worry about?

Dr. David :

no.

Dr. David :

not to worry about.

Dr. David :

it is a common bacteria which can live in stomach acid and produce excessive gas and stomach acid.

Dr. David :

it is very easily treated with 2 antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole

Dr. David :

you have to be off of omeprazole for 2 weeks before testing of H Pylori .

JACUSTOMER-gxz4odyh- :

okay, so should I stop taking the omeprazole now?

Dr. David :

you can get blood antibody testing to check for H Pylori.

Dr. David :

no don't stop your omeprazole yet.

Dr. David :

talk to your doctor about getting test for H Pylori and arrange the testing and then stop the omeprazole.

JACUSTOMER-gxz4odyh- :

how would that test be done?

Dr. David :

you can have either blood testing to check for H Pylori antibodies

Dr. David :

or stool testing to check for H Pylori antigens in the stool

Dr. David :

or you can get an upper endoscopy scope procedure right into the stomach.

Dr. David :

does this help?

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

JACUSTOMER-gxz4odyh- :

okay, and could it be a stomach cyst?

Dr. David :

most likely not a stomach cyst.

Dr. David :

cyst don't really form too often in the stomach.

JACUSTOMER-gxz4odyh- :

okay, what do you recommend to control the sickness and gas?

JACUSTOMER-gxz4odyh- :

It's very hard to deal with constantly

Dr. David :

you can try using gasX for now.

Dr. David :

and continue to use the antacids and omeprazole

Dr. David :

but do follow up with your doctor to talk about getting testing for H Pylori.

JACUSTOMER-gxz4odyh- :

I will do, thank you for you help.

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave +++ positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area below

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

Dr. David :

you can always reach me as Dr. David if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

is my website if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

do you see the ratings area below?

JACUSTOMER-gxz4odyh- :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX do.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

thanks