DrHelen
DrHelen, Doctor
Experience:  UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine
74902962

What type of cushions do the NHS use for a pressure sore on

Customer Question

What type of cushions do the NHS use for a pressure sore on the bottom. My husband has been in hospital due to a fractured femur since 7 Dec, during this time he developed a pressure sore. They have been trying to get him a cushion for his chair since then, now I would like to buy one for him. Can you give me advice?
Expert:  DrHelen replied 3 years ago.
Good morning, I am Dr Helen, a UK doctor.

The best cushions available, and used extensively in the NHS, are ROHO cushions.
These are excellent for people with pressure sores.
Unfortunately they are not cheap, anything from £200 to more than £700 so I would strongly recommend you ask your GP or district nurse if you can have one supplied first.

If you do buy your own these 2 websites will tell you more:

http://www.sumed.co.uk/pressure-area-care/roho-products/featured-cushions/roho-hybrid-elite

http://www.healthandcare.co.uk/roho-pressure-relief-cushions.html?gclid=CJmF3aOCj7wCFVMdtAodHQUANw

I have done a lot of work in hospices where pressure sores are a big problem and the ROHO cushions are very effective and the cushion of choice.

I hope this helps.
Best wishes.

I joined JustAnswer in June 2013 and am a UK doctor. I have been qualified for 23 years and have widespread experience in GP and cancer care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Doctor Helen

This is great advice, a friend of mine pointed me in this direction, she had a daughter who was paraplegic and she swore by the Roho cushion. As it has been many years since my friend had bought them as her daughter is now dead, it was reassuring to know that these cushions are still highly regarded by the NHS. I will go down the route of my GP but I am afraid it is all down to expense.

Kindest Regards

Vicky Whyte (on behalf of my husband Maxwell)

Expert:  DrHelen replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

Yes, ROHO are still the best. There are even ROHO mattresses now for people completely bedbound!
They are expensive but I would certainly check if you can get one via the GP/DN first or even hire one. I honestly don't know if they can be hired throughout the UK but in the area of the country I work in they can sometimes be borrowed in the short term. Again your GP or district nurse should be able to advise you further.

I wish your husband a speedy recovery.

Best wishes.
Expert:  DrHelen replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,

I just wondered if you had managed to make any progress with getting a cushion via the NHS?

I hope so,
Best wishes,

Dr Helen.