Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I am currently, and in the past have peridically, find I am

Customer Question

I am currently, and in the past have peridically, find I am losing sleep at at least an hour each night thru waking up and going for a pee. The act of passing urine is much worse thru the night than during the day.

I drink lost of water have have exprimented over the past 8 years with intake of liquids to try and alleviate the sympton of a frequent need to pass urine but what seems to determine the number of times I have to urinate is directly related to flow of urine. At the moment and at night flow is minimal, irritates and has to be forced. During the day flow is much better and the negative effects of passing urine are much reduced.

I underwent a cystoscopy a couple of months back and the effect of the investigation was to increase the flow of urine dramatically.

The problem which I guess is blood clotting as a result of injury inflicted when I underwent Bracky Therapy treatment for prostate cancer.

Is there any thing practical that I can do to increase flow of urine. Chemically I have taken a flowmax pill daily for 8 years and have always resisted surgery and a colostromy bag as this would interfere with my lifestyle and work. I am 76 years old.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

it sounds like your prostate is most likely enlarged.

Dr. David :

we see your symptoms frequently with men who have enlarged prostate glands.

Dr. David :

cystoscopy would temporarily dilate the urethra to help urination.

Dr. David :

you can talk to your doctor about taking the maximum dose of flomax which is two 0.4mg pills before bed time.

Dr. David :

you need to talk to your doctor about medication to help shrink your prostate gland like proscar or avodart

Dr. David :

but if these medications don't work, then our only options are really to either straight catheterize yourself 3-5 times a day to help get the urine out

Dr. David :

or a TURP surgery procedure to help widen the urethra channel to allow urine to flow out easier.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have questions.