Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

I wake up, I feel conscious but I cant move my body or control

Customer Question

I wake up, I feel conscious but I cant move my body or control any limb for a shot time I cant even talk ( (I don't know how long probably seconds) and then suddenly I can move it again, it is as if my thinking wakes up and not my body, it happen often to me lately
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

This is a condition known as sleep paralysis syndrome. It is a normal condition which occurs in many people and is generally not dangerous..

The sleep cycle consists of the REM cycle (rapid eye movement) and the non-REM phase. During the REM phase, which is the deepest phase of sleep, the muscles become very slack and weak. If you wake up during this time, your brain may be awake but it can take some time for the muscles to catch up and for you to be able to move.

In most cases, it is a normal part of sleep. In some people, it may be associated with narcolepsy, anxiety syndromes.

Treatment is generally not needed, but antidepressants may help in some cases.