Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have pain in the shoulders and upper arms?

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer, although I'm sorry that you are having pain.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Is this pain affecting the shoulder diffusely? Or is there a single point where the pain is felt?
How long has this been bothering you?
What dose and frequency of the medicines have you been taking?
To clarify, are you asking what may be causing this pain?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pain is on top of both shoulders ,around shoulder blade area and down back of arms.

How long has this been bothering you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Around 5 days..

Phorpain applied 3 times per day.Deep heat 3 times per day.

One week ago I was given a cortizone injection at Doncaster R I.

What dose and frequency of the ibuprofen have you been taking?
If this pain has been bothering you for 5 days, what was the cortisone injection one week ago given for?
Where was the cortisone injection administered?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was being considered for a knee replacement but the doctor decided to try that first.Ibuprofen 400mg 3 times daily.Injected into left knee.

That makes sense. A cortisone injection into the knee would have little systemic effect, so would typically not provide much, if any benefit to the shoulder.

From the perspective of the shoulder, the most common cause of shoulder pain is a wear and tear change within the shoulder or surrounding structures, also called degenerative arthritis or osteoarthritis. Pain that is over the top of the shoulder that extends down the shoulder blade and arm is most often related to degenerative changes affecting the rotator cuff, either as a tendinitis or bursitis. The rotator cuff is a set of tendons that are from muscles around the shoulder blade that travel over the top of the shoulder.

The ibuprofen is a reasonable medicine, although it may require a higher dose, up to 800 mg three times per day. It also may help to perform a cortisone injection into the shoulder, just as your doctor did for the knee. It is also worth noting that actual heat typically works better than the creams that simulate heat, and moist heat works better than dry heat. Therefore, using a moist heating pad or soaking in hot water, such as in the bath or a recreational hot tub, will typically work better than using the topical creams that simulate heat. There is an over the counter cream that has been shown to help with arthritis pain, called capsaicin, but it usually takes a couple weeks to build up in the system, so is typically only used once the problem has shown that it will be chronic in nature.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.K..Malaure.

You're welcome. If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.