Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

no explained bleeding, started week after (5

no explained vaginal bleeding, started week after period (5 days already)??
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information/clarification:
Do you mean that you gad a normal period and then a week later started bleeding again and this bleeding has continued for 5 days?
Are you having any symptoms associated with the bleeding?
Are you typically very regular?
What are you using for birth control?
Do you have any chronic medical problems?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes my period finish on 13/01, from 20/01 i start bleeding again

no really apart from being more tired then usually

normally my periods are around 40-50 days apart

no using any type of birth control

only back pain

Thank you for the additional information/clarification.

There are many possible causes of bleeding between periods. Some of these problems are important to identify and treat promptly, such as infections of the cervix or uterus. Some are benign and more bothersome than worrisome.

One of the possible causes is abnormal hormonal cycling, either as a primary problem or associated with other hormonal problems, such as thyroid disease. The fact that your normal cycles are 40-50 days would make this a more likely cause of the bleeding as well. If the problem is a primary issue with the female hormones, then this is mostly bothersome, although it may create issues with fertility. It is important, though, to identify whether it is associated with another hormonal problem, primarily thyroid disease.

If an infection is present, there frequently would be other symptoms present, but this is not always true. Consequently, checking for an infection is important in this situation.

It is also possible that abnormal bleeding can occur from complications that can arise early in pregnancy, although obviously only a concern if you are currently sexually active.

Abnormal growths, such as cancer, fibroids, or hyperplasia, are less common as a cause of bleeding in a woman of your age, but becomes increasingly more common as a cause of abnormal bleeding in older women.

Another factor that also can cause abnormal bleeding patterns is as a non-specific response to stress, either physical stress or emotional stress. It is more common to see a missed period from this, but it also can cause an extra period. There is no direct test to say that it is due to stress, so this diagnosis is typically made by excluding other possible causes of abnormal bleeding.

Therefore, at this point, it would be important to be seen for a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause of the extra period. Certain conditions should be identified and treated promptly, such as antibiotics for an infection. If it is a condition that is more bothersome than worrisome, then your doctor will discuss with you whether treatment is preferred.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

I notice that this question is still open, but I have not received any follow-up questions. If you have any further questions, please let me know. If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.