Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had a series of blood tests all came out as normal.Sedementation/Plasma?GFR/Uriac

Customer Question

I have had a series of blood tests all came out as normal.Sedementation/Plasma?GFR/Uriac & Electrolite/Liver/Serum & SerumTSH.
The only one I have NOT received is the CA119 which I am told takes a longer time.
As it shows on Google as for Pancreatic Cancer could it be for anything else.
I have a pain ON & OFF on my lower left hand side of my stomach(colon) which is thought to be Diverticulitis. MY wife is worried that it might be Pancreatic Cancer as the results have been delayed. Would it give me a pain as stated in my lower left abdomen.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

There are several levels of answer to your question.

The direct answer to your question is yes, pancreatic cancer can cause pain in the left lower abdomen. Any condition of the pancreas, such as pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer, can cause pain in any portion of the abdomen - center, left, right, upper or lower. The pancreas is centrally located, so will more commonly cause pain in the center or upper abdomen, but can cause pain that is felt is any location within the abdomen. Pain from the pancreas also can radiate through to the back.

On the other hand, though, of all the people that present with left lower abdominal pain, it is only a small percentage in whom it is found to be due to pancreatic disease, either pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer. It is far more likely that pain in this location is due to diverticular disease.

Blood tests can be done (in our country, it is called CA 19-9), but usually the best tests to detect whether there is pancreatic cancer would be an imaging test of the abdomen, such as a CT scan or MRI.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

I notice that this question is still open, but I have not received any follow-up questions. If you desire any further information, please let me know. If I have answered all your questions, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.