Dr. Harriet
Dr. Harriet, Doctor
Experience:  25 years experience as a Board Certified family practitioner.
16838010

My daughter suffers from Hashimotos hypothyroidism. Because

Customer Question

My daughter suffers from Hashimoto's hypothyroidism. Because her G.P. does not know enough about the condition she has had to attend a hospital consultant in London. Her consultant has requested her G.P. to prescribe 5 mgs tablets for her condition, which tends to become chronic in a very few days. She has now been told by various chemists that they only carry 20 mg. tablets and not 5 mg., and refuse to hand over the 20 mg. tablets without a 5 mg. tablet prescription. My daughter needs to get her consultant to write a letter to the G.P. (the G.P. surgery does not accept emails or telephone calls) prescribing 20 mg. tablets. This will take some weeks as the consultant is out of the country and his secretary needs to type a letter. This then will go to the G.P. who will prescribe the tablets and then on to my daughter. This will take weeks and my daughter needs these tablets rather urgently. How can my daughter obtain these tablets quickly. I consider this merry-go-round with my daughter health to be quite disgusting.
Expert:  Dr. Harriet replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like the best way to handle this is to have your daughter see her gp again. The treatment of the hypothyroidism is the same regardless of the cause, so it should be fairly simple for the gp to prescribe the thyroid medication. The dose will depend on your daughter's current degree of hypothyroidism. If her thyroid is still functioning pretty well, there is no urgency to starting the treatment; in fact, waiting for the function to fall to a significant level is a reasonable option. If her thyroid is not functioning at all, however, it is better to not wait; in that instance, young folks can often tolerate starting thyroid at full replacement dosages. I cannot comment on the dose that the specialist prescribed as I don't know the exact name of the medication he was prescribing, and I don't know your daughter's thyroid levels. Different formulations will have different dosing. If he was only prescribing a miniscule dose, then not starting this right away should not be an issue for her. The question for the GP would be whether or not it makes sense to have her on that small a dose, whether or not her thyroid is currently functioning, and, if it is not, why she can't just be started on a full replacement dose. Hope this is helpful.