DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

can hypnotherapy stop me drinking its just such a habbit i

Customer Question

can hypnotherapy stop me drinking its just such a habbit i would love to swap
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Bob :

Yes. Hypnotherapy has been used successfully to help people end addictions of all sorts, including alcohol use.

Dr. Bob :

The advantage of this approach is that it puts the power to control your drinking in your hands, rather than relying on medications or support groups.

Dr. Bob :

Let me know if you would like me to research some resources in your area.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

Hypnotherapy does not stop drinking.

At best it is adjunctive therapy.

It can not replace the effectiveness of support groups, and no alcohol/addiction medicine doctor would recommend this.

In addition, hypnotherapy in general needs to be used as but one tool in psychotherapy.

To say that you can go get hypnotherapy to stop drinking would be incorrect.

You need a comprehensive program, which includes

Medical help with withdrawal if needed.

12 steps.

Correct diet and nutrition.

Optimally psychotherapy and this is where hypnotherapy can come in. The therapist should also have addiction training.

There are many "hypnotherapists" that have no medical training and this can be a dangerous approach for an alcohol addition. You need a trained individual and in almost all cases a multi factorial approach is needed.

I am a double board certified doctor with over 20 years of experience in this area.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. Please to not forget a positive rating.