Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Please can you help me. I think my teeth are ruined. Im 47

Customer Question

Please can you help me.
I think my teeth are ruined. Im 47 and trying not to think about dentures.
Can I tell you the issues.
I had a breakdown last year and all the affects have had an effect on my teeth.
I went to the dentist and he is referring me to the hospital as I feel I can only have treatment if sedated.
I allready have 4 teeth miissing and they want to take out a further 3.(decay)
Allso the front have (cavities) brown stains from smoking and bad oral hygiene(?)
The staines are between the teeth and look awfull. Food collects in there and smoking causes staines. Others are starting
Allso I have a couple of holes......(maybe one)(near the top of the tooth)
Is implants the answer. Can anyone have implants reguardless of bone and gum condition.
How do they get rid of the brown staines at the front. Does cleaning do this?
If it comes to it can i just chew on the gums? (very few back teeth) ( if any).......
What are the options?
Im am still recovering from breakdown and a bit sensitive.....Am i up to treatment?
are there any options?
Ive heard different reviews about implants. Some say any jaw is ok (bone ect)
Does cleaning remove the embedded stains.....
Thank-you.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

yes, cleaning and polishing does help remove stains

Dr. David :

bleaching of the teeth can also remove more stains.

Dr. David :

however, you need good bones and gums to have implants.

Dr. David :

if you have many cavities and many missing teeth, and have not been taking care of your teeth, the best bet might be to have all of your teeth pulled and to have dentures made.

Dr. David :

I know you don't want to think about dentures,

Dr. David :

but it might be your best bet to have functional teeth.

Dr. David :

gums are not a good way to break down food.

Dr. David :

you want to be able to eat solid foods, like chicken and sandwiches and other solid foods.

Dr. David :

you need teeth to be able to break those down. so you can't just gum food.

Dr. David :

does this make sense?

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

Dr. David :

hi

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

yes, a bit dissapointed.

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

hi.

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

When you say dentures can they only be at the back. The dentist showed me like bridge dentures but said they are uncomfortable.

Dr. David :

you can get partial dentures made.

Dr. David :

but the problem with that is when the other teeth fall out, you will need new dentures made for all of your teeth.

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

Dr. David :

so if your teeth are not in great condition, then it might be best just to pull all of your teeth and have full dentures made.

Dr. David :

that way, you are set for the long term.

Dr. David :

and full dentures are more comfortable to wear.

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

hi. I have 3 teeth missing at the back and they want to pull out a further three...Very dissapointing.He showed me bridge( 2 teeeth) like dentures but said they are uncomfortable.

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

hi.

Dr. David :

I know you are disappointed.

Dr. David :

but at least you are getting your dental issues addressed at this point.

Dr. David :

it sounds like you really needed the dental care currently.

Dr. David :

and that you were not getting routine dental care.

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

Thankyou for the reply.I have 3 teeth missing at the back and they want to remove a further 3....He showed me bridge like dentures for the back but said they are uncomfortable......How good is teeth cleaning?The staines are quite embedded.....

Dr. David :

and smoking is very bad for your teeth.

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

hi.

Dr. David :

teeth cleaning is very effective

Dr. David :

and can help remove quite a bit of the stain.

Dr. David :

but the best thing for you is to quit smoking if you want to keep your teeth healthier and cleaner.

Dr. David :

have you tried to quit smoking before?

Dr. David :

I know quitting smoking is very hard .

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

hhi.

Dr. David :

did you see my reply above?

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

Hi.Thanks for the reply....I have 3 teeth missing at the back and they want to remove a further 3.He showed me a bridge like denture but said it is very uncomfortable.......toothe cleaning.....how good is it? The staines are quite embedded.....

Dr. David :

yes, you said this before.

Dr. David :

teeth cleaning is very effective

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

have you tried to quit smoking before?

Dr. David :

I know quitting smoking is hard.

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

hi. Thankyou for the reply. I have 3 teeth missing at the back and they want to remove a further 3.He showed me a bridge like denture but said it is very uncomfortable...how good is teeth cleaning...The staines are quite embedded.I may just keep my teeth untill they fall out! Yes, brushing ect.I may be able to hang on to the front but one or 2 of them is starting to go.If i hang on to them I may ask the dentist privately for cleaning or nhs. Is there a difference in treatment..what is the best.Dentures, do people keep them in at night.....romance!!....gets a bit sad.....I may be able to have implants i dont know..I will talk to them.i dont like cleaning at the dentist(electric tools) is there another method for general cleaning.My friend says they can do it by hand(Im an nhs patient) How often should I get them cleaned....Thanks..

Dr. David :

most people don't keep in dentures at night.

Dr. David :

you have to have electric tools to have the best dental cleaning.

Dr. David :

you should get your teeth cleaned once a year.

Dr. David :

does this help?

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

sorry about the mails but I kept hitting the enter button.I do apologise...Bit confusing. I think i will try to hold on to what i have(cleaning ect) unless maybe they allow implants......is there a difference in chemical cleaning methods? how often can you get this done.I will try to use a flouride toothepaste and mouthwash......How often can you get chemical cleaning or proffesional cleaning on nhs? how often should I get it done.Sorry for the cofusing emails..thanks....

JACUSTOMER-shiplv9k- :

Im sorry but I found the return button did not allow me to respond properly and you were not there to take my apology.Thank-you. It has taken allot longer than I wanted and i do not like not to make paragraphs. For this reason I am signing off and am not happy with the service.

Dr. David :

you can get professional cleaning once a year .