Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

Im worried I may have the male version of pcos. I have

Customer Question

I'm worried I may have the male version of pcos. I have chronic fatigues and suffered from male pattern baldness since 17 even though no one in my family had hair loss, except from my mum who has very thin hair and a high hairline. She also has bad fatigue. I was looking to find out why I am going bald since 17 when my dad and both grandparents have perfect hair. My mum has 3 children but also had 2 miscarriages. She is slightly overweight but not diabetic. Do you think it's possible she has pcos, and that I may have the male equilivent? And the high androgen level causing me to bald? Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

Actually there is no male equivalent of pcps, since it's primarily a disorder of ovulation, and males don't ovulate.

Male pattern hair loss is a result of genetics and male hormones. The genetics are complicated, but the primary hair loss gene is on the X chromosome, which men have only one of, which they get from their mothers. There are other genes which play a role which are on other chromosomes, so it's partly inherited from the father also.

Women with pcps tend to have elevated testosterone, but their testosterone levels are far below that of the average male. It's just that in women, the little extra testosterone can increase their chance of hair loss. Women with pcps are far more likely to have extra body hair (hirsuitism) than male pattern hair loss.

So unless you actually have high androgen levels (doubtful, but would require a blood test to determine), your baldness is likely mostly from your genes, in spite of the fact that your father and grandparents have perfect hair.

The chronic fatigue is a concern, and I would certainly recommend seeing your doctor for evaluation for that. Problems with your thyroid or adrenal glands can both cause fatigue and hair loss. Best wishes.