DrHelen
DrHelen, Doctor
Experience:  UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine
74902962

im a 47 year old man in excellent health… Ive been getting

im a 47 year old man in excellent health… Ive been getting up to pass water on occasions at night over the past 3 months…I happens twice a week or so..My GP checked my glucose and and ruled out diabetes and said nothing to worry about…A friend mentioned prostate cancer to me and now I'm worried….what should do….I live in Northern Ireland….will the National Health Service (NHS) pay for my treatment if I need quick treatment. ?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Hi there.

Still need help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Apologies but I need an answer from a UK based GP

Thanks for your earlier answer

Expert:  DrHelen replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am a UK doctor.

Firstly, although your symptoms may be related to the prostate gland this does not mean you have prostate cancer. In virtually all men the prostate gland increases in size with age and this often shows itself by you needing to pass water more frequently. Some men also notice that when they do wee it is harder to push all the urine out. The tube the urine has to pass through runs right through the middle of the prostate gland.

I would suggest you go to your GP and tell him or her you are concerned about your prostate gland. He or she can check the prostate gland further for you. There is a blood test that can also be done (the PSA test) that is connected with prostate cancer. The results of this test can help indicate if there is a problem with the prostate but it is not a positive or negative type result....more of a pointer as to whether or not something is amiss with the prostate. I would ask your GP more about this test.

The NHS would certainly cover any and all treatment connected with the prostate gland. Although it is unlikely you have cancer of the prostate you would be dealt with very quickly on the NHS as the new rules say patients with a possible cancer disgnosis should be seen within 2 weeks.

Hopefully once you have this checked out you will be able to lay your fears to rest.

Best wishes.

I joined JustAnswer in June 2013 and am a UK doctor. I have been qualified for 23 years and have widespread experience in GP and cancer care.
DrHelen, Doctor
Experience: UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine