Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 51 year old Diabetic patient type II and I have a scared

Customer Question

I am 51 year old Diabetic patient type II and I have a scared esophagus lining due to acid reflux (inflammation of the esophagus) and I have a sinus issue too (running nose and fever), I am also overweight and have cholesterol and high blood pressure, I went to a doctor who has given me the following medication since Tuesday including:

lanzor (lanzoprazole) 30 mg once before breakfast

Tarivid (ofloxacine) 200 mg twice daily

Clarinase (lortadine (5mg) & Pseudoephedrine (120mg) twice daily

Xylo COMOD (xylometazoline hydrochloride mg) twice daily two puffs in each nostril ( I am confused why the doctor gave me this medication in particular since I am a diabetic patient and have high blood pressure and it says on the medical form inside that this medication should not be used in diabetic or hypertension patients)

other medication for diabetes:

(1) Glucophage 1000 mg twice daily
(2) Januvia 10/ mg once daily
(3) Co-diovan 12/80 once daily for high blood pressure

The problem is that I have not been able to sleep for more than 4 days now, the irritation in my throat due to the acid reflux is hurting me, even if I drink water, on top of that the sinus problem which is getting better now but still running nose, the doctor said that I need to consider removing my tonsils because they are enlarged and make some corrective surgery to my nose as the respiratory track in my nose is not straight

my question is what can I do to cure the esophagus irritation in my throat very quickly I just need to sleep and get rest and then I will get better, I am so depressed and stressed because of that, please help me, additionally I have been sick for two weeks due to inflammation of the uvula and the throat but that now is gone I think
can I use turmeric powder to ease the tension scaring of my esophagus or what can I do today please sir help me
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.
It will help if you could first provide some further information:
Did they say whether there was only the acid irritation/inflammation of the esophagus and scarring?
Or did they also say whether there is a growth of different tissue in the esophagus, called Barrett esophagus?
How well controlled is the diabetes? What was your last HgbA1c?
How well controlled is the hypertensions? What does your blood pressure run on the medicine?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back, so wanted to address what information is available.

First, to address the use of xylometazoline (and pseudoephedrine). Both of these medicines are decongestants, and physiologically are similar to adrenalin, which is why there are the restrictions that you noted. However,it is also true that in some people with diabetes and hypertension that are well controlled and has more significant congestion, a doctor may decide that the use of these drugs is warranted given the severity of symptoms. Obviously, your doctor felt that the use of these drugs is warranted, but if you feel that the congestion is not as bad and you can do without these medicines, then there is no reason to accept the potential risk associated with the medicines.

Next, to address the primary issue of the acid reflux. If the problem is only acid reflux and scarring, then treatment would typically be focused on controlling the acid irritation. Proton pump inhibitors, such as the lanzoprazole, are the usual medicine used to control stomach acid. If this is not sufficient, then it would be fine to augment the drug with a liquid antacid. A liquid antacid would be preferable to tablets because it will apply direct relief to the site of irritation/inflammation and scarring. Another option would be to add sucralfate, which works by coating raw surfaces in the esophagus.

There are a couple of supplements that may help acid reflux. Although turmeric is sometimes used for indigestion, it is not typically recommended for acid reflux or ulcers, because there is evidence that it can increase stomach acid. Supplements that may be considered include omega-3 fatty acids (which have an anti-inflammatory effect), cranberry, or mastic. From the perspective of scarring, the use of a vitamin E supplement may help ease the formation of scar tissue.

There are also a number of dietary interventions that are recommended for acid reflux, including avoiding fatty foods, eating several smaller meals per day, avoiding any meals for several hours before bedtime, raising the head of the bed by 6 inches, and avoiding alcohol, caffeine, cigarettes, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines.

I also ask about Barrett esophagus because it may need specific monitoring or intervention. The Barrett esophagus is a complication of ongoing acid reflux and the primary treatment are the usual treatment for acid reflux. However, there should also be regular monitoring of the Barrett esophagus with an endoscopy, and depending upon the severity of illness, there may need to be direct treatment of the abnormal tissue growth, such as radiofrequency ablation or electrocoagulation.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.