Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am due to have a knee replacement next Friday however last

Customer Question

I am due to have a knee replacement next Friday however last night and today I am in pain at the side of the knee above where I had my cartilage removed several years ago.
This pain or soreness is adjacent to the top of my scar and right on the fleshy part of the outside of the knee.
My GP prescribed anti inflammatory tablets and said that is a joint that connects to my hamstring which happened two weeks ago and cleared up but now experiencing more pain.
Please advise.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--any redness or swelling and are you concerned this might delay your surgery?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I am not concerned as there is no swelling just the soreness so can you agree with my GP diagnosis or is it

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Ian I was off. Your GP was referring to tendonitis and while that could be the problem the fact that it came and went and then came back sounds more like bursitis than tendonitis. Either way, these are treated the same--rest, heat to the area, and antiinflammatories.