Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Audible snap/pop in brain = absent emotions

Sorry to waste anyones time, I think it has turned out to be the infamous 'health anxiety' typical of anorexia. I think my psychiatrist was right after all.

((((((((((About 3 months ago I felt extremely stressed+emotionful(/guilty), and something audibly snapped/popped in my head/brain -> sudden total silence of emotions. Over the subsequent days my emotions only returned to ~10% of their original level, and also noticed my wheezing reaction to dairy was the same (only ~10% of original amount). Since then my emotions have reduced gradually to almost no response at all, and they seem to further reduce/compress when I eat. This effect has recently got to a point where I am having a reduction/compression of breathing when I eat too.

I was advised by a psychiatrist that emotions are cut off as a protective response sometimes (which I thought possible)/that people subconsciously shut off their emotions (which didn't seem right/agreeable with me)... but my emotions have only been getting consistently gradually worse. I now feel virtually nothing.

It is also complicated by the fact that I have been recovering from anorexia. The extent of the reduction/compression effect when eating has limited me to eating barely anything at all today or yesterday evening, and so has negatively impacted my progression towards recovering. I was continuing as normal to recover from anorexia with vague trust in the idea that my emotional responses would improve, but they haven't and now over the past couple of days they have begun to effect breathing, which has really concerned me and prevented me from eating much.

The snap/pop seemed to occur towards the middle/back area of my head, behind my left eye and up a bit. There was also a tiny crack/snap sound around the back of my neck, which was very quiet, so I paid that very little attention although I thought it's best to mention everything. My main worry is that the noise(s) was something serious (eg the only thing I could think of was a stroke, or something bursting), which has caused permanent damage to the brain, particularly notibly an area playing a vital role in emotions, [and/which was also] an area creating my wheezing reaction to dairy.

Can you explain this or suggest what it might be and what can be done about it? Thank you)))))))))))

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

these sounds that you hear might sound like they are coming from the brain, but the brain itself has no way to make noises like what you are hearing.

you could have heard something else like a crack in your neck or you could have had some equalization of pressure in your inner ear which caused the sound, but it wouldn't be coming from the brain

you can have an MRI scan of your brain, but I would bet that it would be normal without signs of a stroke or anything else like that.

emotional changes and emotional shutting down in the brain would not be caused by something you could hear.

I think the sound that you heard and the emotional changes you experienced was most likely a coincidence.

I would trust what your psychiatrist is saying about when your emotions shut down. it sounds like your psychiatrist is working to help you. I would trust him

I hope you continue to recover well from your anorexia. I hope you have talked to your psychiatrist about your anorexia and your issues with food. I hope you can get into a better and healthier relationship with food

I hope your emotional shut down also recovers as well.

let me know if you have other questions.
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That was very helpful. Thank you.