Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

have had some chest pain through out the night when I cough

Customer Question

have had some chest pain through out the night when I cough feel it all the way through to my back between the shoulder blades not short of breath but chest very sore.

Regards Luci.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Are you having any other symptoms, such as fever or sputum production with the cough?
Is the pain worse when you take a deep breath?
Is there any tenderness if you press on the chest in the area of pain (front or back)?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back, so will address what information is available.

There are several common causes of the symptoms that you describe.

It certainly can occur from infections in the chest. The most common infection would be a viral infection of the chest, which also would not be worrisome. If there is a significant fever or sputum production associated with the cough, there would be more of a concern that there may be pneumonia, which would be more worrisome.

Another common cause is musculoskeletal pain, most often from inflammation in the rib cage. This possibility would be more likely if there is tenderness when pressing on the chest.

If there is no concern about possible pneumonia, then it would be OK to use an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine and the application of moist heat to try to ease the pain.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.