Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

what is the best thing to use for personal feminine itching

Customer Question

what is the best thing to use for personal feminine itching I have a history of dermatitis and skin ulcers which make guessing a hazard.
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

Are you asking about itching in the vaginal area?
Has your doctor found a cause for the itching?
Do you use any hormones? Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Vaginal area....yes

Dr never said, never examined, just asked me questions,gave me idea it was due to dryness? that may just be an assumption on my part, as it is something which comes and goes, not here all the time. I have exzema

which comes and goes also.

No I do not use hormones.

Usually it's best to figure out the cause of itching and treat that specifically. Sudocrem is a mixture of things that may treat bacteria, fungus, dry skin, maybe eczema, plus has a mild anesthetic.

A common cause of vaginal itching is a yeast infection, which can be diagnosed by the doctor with a microscope in the office. You could try one of the over the counter vaginal yeast creams (such as Monistat). If the itching is gone within a day, it was probably yeast.

If you think it could be just dry skin, any good skin cream applied after bathing should resolve it.

Eczema or skin sensitivity can usually be resolved using 1% hydrocortisone cream, which is sold without a prescription.

A common cause of vagina itching and possible discharge after menopause is from atrophic changes due to low estrogen. Using some estrogen vaginal cream (requires a prescription from your doctor) on a nightly basis as needed will generally resolve this and prevent it from recurring.

So ideally an exam by your doctor would help to know the cause of the itching, and then you could use something that will resolve that cause and also prevent recurrence. Using non specific products like Sudocrem can lead to further problems, such as a reaction to one of the ingredients.
Thank you for your payment and rating and the generous bonus!