Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi. I have a high prolactin level which is 456mg over 385 is

Customer Question

Hi. I have a high prolactin level which is 456mg over 385 is it dangerous and also I have dehydration always feel dryness when swallow
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Have you had any evaluation to determine the cause of the high prolactin level?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not really I did some blood test and also a pelvic scan the answer was only hormone which is not balancing but I didn't do a full body scan to determine if there is any problem cause high level of prolactin
Thank you for the additional information.

For most people with a high prolactin, it is not a serious, life threatening condition, although there are a variety of health consequences, but there is one key exception to this statement.

As you may already have learned, prolactin is released by a gland at the base of the brain called the pituitary gland. n a small percentage of people with a high prolactin, this can be due to a large growth that can press on important structures at the base of the brain. These growths are typically benign (that is, not a cancer), but can still be serious because it can press on important structures.

The usual study to assess whether there is a large growth in the pituitary is an MRI of the brain particularly focusing on the pituitary gland. If there is a large growth, then there may need to be surgery to remove the growth. If it is borderline, it may be followed with multiple MRIs over time, but the specific anatomy would determine which regimen should be followed.

If there is not a large growth causing the elevated level of prolactin, then it is not a serious condition and the usual approach is to address the specific symptoms that are caused by the elevated prolactin.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much
You suggest the only option is to do a full body scan to determine if there is any problem with my brain
It does not need to be a total body scan; it only needs to be an MRI of the brain focusing on the pituitary gland.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you very much for your help
You're welcome.