Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My wife has a lump about 10cm long and 8cm wide on the front

My wife has a lump about 10cm long and 8cm wide on the front of her leg just below the knee. MRI scan indicates mainly fluid. it is painful. Any idea what it might be and what sort of specialist should she seek help from. Would it be an Orthapaedic Conultant?

Kind Regards

Ron Wenz
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi Ron--this is bursitis--inflammation of the bursal sac that surrounds joints. She does need an orthopedic surgeon to look at it and it may need to be drained and a cortisone injection given there to clear it up