Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I have had elevated blood pressure for 6 months, I am now trying

I have had elevated blood pressure for 6 months, I am now trying to loose weight, I currently weigh 105kg's which I have got down from 122kgs 3 months ago. I am 6ft 1 and fairly active. I run at least 4 times a week and play cricket.

I am slightly concerned as my blood pressure is usually around 145/75 but my resting heart rate is around 50 is this to low and a cause for concern? I recently had an EKG as I went to hospital with chest aches?

I have a fairly stressful life and often work 60+ hours a week and I am 25 years old.

What advice can you offer... I don't want to take medication and I hope I can fix the High BP on my own.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Are you taking any pills for high blood pressure?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Do you have pain in left side of chest? Numbness in left arm?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
High there, no I have never had any blood pressure medication,
I have not being diagnosed but recently through very stressful periods of my life I have being suffering a lot of anxiety.
I have over the past 6 months had a few aches in the left side of my chest but on a scale of 1-10 in pain or how much it affects my I wouldn't score it above a 2!
I do not experience any numbness in the left arm.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Well, at age of 25 years, with blood pressure level of 145/75, it can be manged with dietary and lifestyle changes.
At this age, chances of developing heart disease are slim.
Having Stressful life, can be the reason for such raised blood pressure levels. Anxiety issue would also cause such fluctuations in blood pressure levels.

Please follow these measures-
1. You should not smoke
2. You should eat a healthy diet, focusing on fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products, and especially, control the salt in your diet
Maintain a healthy weight
3. You can exercise by getting 30 minutes of moderate activity ,on most days of the week
4. You should try to limit the amount of alcohol you drink.
5. You should try to reduce sodium in your diet. A small reduction in the sodium in your diet can reduce blood pressure by 2 to 8 mm Hg.
6. You should eat fewer processed foods like Potato chips, frozen dinners.
7. You should avoid caffeine.

The heart usually between 60 and 100 times a minute in an adult at rest.
When heart beats 60 times minute.or less that , then it is called as Bradycardia.

Most likely, it is related with anxiety and stress issue.
You should get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.

Please remain away from stress and try to live happy life.
As such, please follow above measures, and there is no reason to get panic for any serious issue.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for putting my mind to rest your answer was detailed and clear....Much more use than any of the information I received from the local GP

Thank you again.

Kindest regards

XXXXX XXXXX
Dear Customer,

Thanks for appreciating my work.
Please follow measures as advised in previous post.

Thanks for using justanswer.com

If you are satisfied, please rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.