Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

I am a widow of 82yrs, and have Sjogrens syndrome. I had

Customer Question

I am a widow of 82yrs, and have Sjogren's syndrome. I had right hip replacement 5 yrs. ago. Only other problems have been a torn muscle in the shoulder after a heavy fall. I now have pain in the groin, left side, which hurts most when walking. It usually wears off after walking s short distance (say 150 yds.), but the area also aches when sitting. Can you advise please?
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.
There are a number of stress injury causes which can cause such pain.

Adductor tendonitis

Iliopsoas tendinitis

Lumbar disc pain

Tear of the Acetabular Labrum

There can also be bony injuries like a stress fracture of the neck of the femur or avulsion fractures.

From your description, aductor tendinitis seems the most likely.

You should consult an Orthopaedician for this. AN orthopaedicain will be able to diagnose your cause and you will probably need investigations like MRI. He will also be able to guide you towards the appropriate treatment depending on the injury.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Hi Margaret,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Is there any further information that you need? Please do write if you wanted to know something more.

Do write back to me if you have any follow up questions,

Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Dyoti,

This isn't your fault, given the information I gave you. But the pain got much worse and spread, to bladder and colon, and I became feverish. Finally called the doctor who diagnosed a flare up of Sjogrens due to a diverticular infection.

He advised increasing the steroids but not to take antibiotics. The pain became worse and I developed pemphigoid vasculitis. Another doctor put me on to anti-biotics which cleared the infection. And I'm gradually reducing the steroids as the rash begins to fade.

But thank you for your help. At least you treated my request seriously!

Good wishes,

Margaret.