Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

Hello, I am American, but have been living in the UK for over

I am American, but have been living in the UK for over 3 years. I was extremely over-medicated by my US doctors, and I am currently working with my GP to taper off of 3 medications completely.

My GP doesn't know a lot about doing this, and she has asked me to research and so far we have been working on it together.

My first question is regarding Neurontin (Gabapentin). I am not epileptic, never any seizures - I used to suffer from migraines, and I think that is why I was prescribed this in the US. I have been on 300mg per day for about 9 years.

My current GP and I decided just to cut back in the following way: from 300mg down to 200mg (that was 2 months ago for 1 month). This last month, I have gone down to 100mg p/day. I will have an appointment with her soon, and I need to know what to do next. Does it come in 50mg capsules? If so, should I do 50mg p/day for another month, then just stop completely?
I am a 44 year old female in good health, just over-medicated and tapering off. Please advise....
Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question:

Generally, I do not find it necessary to wean Neurontin lower than 100 mg before stopping. I do believe that your GP's approach is very reaosonable. You would likely have no problems stopping the Neurontin from the 100 mg per day dose.