Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

my grandaughter who is 12, seems to catch impetigo, on her

my grandaughter who is 12, seems to catch impetigo, on her lip and face, when she goes and visits this particular house which has 2 dogs. She doesn't touch or pet the dogs, but can an allergy to the dogs bring this skin infection about ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--did the doctor actually think this was impetigo? What exactly does it look like?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It looks very much like herpes but does not respond to Zovirax. My daughter can see a difference in the two types of sores, but I can't tell them apart.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Sue. It does sound very much as though she has an allergy to the dogs' dander and that can be a problem even if one doesn't touch or pet the dogs. I'd suggest she see an allergist for allergy testing to show that and for now perhaps her taking Claritin or Zyrtec before she goes to that house will prevent the problem