Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have very severe bloating and constipation, but sometimes

Customer Question

I have very severe bloating and constipation, but sometimes when I eat I have diareah (please excuse spelling). Also I can only eat very small amounts and have lost 3 stone in weight. Certain foods such as most veg especially onions and leeks, chocolate. If I do eat anything that disagrees or a little too much, the bloating and the pain is unbearable and I get very hot, I vomit most of it up a few hours later. The doctor said I have IBS but even the tablets disagreed with me and I had to stop taking medication, its has made me depressed and I looking for something to help the painful bloating.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Have you had any investigations done? Blood tests, ultrasound of the upper abdomen, endoscopy upper and lower GI?

Q. What medication are you on? Any previously diagnosed medical conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I have been told I have IBS, but am not happy with the answer

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. It is never a first up diagnosis. A diagnosis of IBS can only be made once all the organic conditions causing a set of symptoms have been ruled out.
I suggest that you ask for a referral to a Gastroenterologist and get a few important tests done.
Top differential diagnosis include, pancreatic insufficiency, malabsorption syndromes, gall bladder dysfunction, parasitic infestations, gastritis, gastroparesis etc.
These can be effectively ruled out on an ultrasound of the upper abdomen, stool for elastase, full blood count, upper GI endoscopy and colonoscopy and certain other tests as required.
If these tests yield results consistent with an organic conditions that is resposible for your symptoms, treatment can be initiated. However, if the results are negative then IBS can be labelled as the diagnosis.
Mean while, I suggest that you add the following to your diet.
Metamucil or psyllium husk 2 table spoons thrice a day admixed in food, water or milk.
High fiber diet including green leafy vegetables, fruits, dried fruits and nuts like cashew nuts, walnuts, almonds etc. and prunes.
Drink at least 2 to 3 litres of water daily.
Also add lactulose 20 ml twice a day as a stool softener and a laxative.
Avoid refined cereals and low fiber diet products.
The above will help with your constipation and bloating.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.