Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am prone to cysts & they are now ruining my life. Have them

I am prone to cysts & they are now ruining my life. Have them on my body & now my face? Please is there anything I can do or take?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Has your doctor said what type of cysts are present?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Mostly sebastus? sorry can't remember the spelling!

The proper spelling is sebaceous. These are common cysts that are actually not sebaceous in origin, although originally thought so, but the name has stuck. The proper term would be an epidermoid cyst or a pilar cyst.

There is no clear evidence of interventions that will prevent epidermoid cysts. However, it is thought that avoiding sun exposure may be helpful. If sun exposure cannot be avoided, then applying sun screen would be appropriate. It also may be helpful to use oil-free skin care products.

Otherwise, the usual approach is to manage each cyst as it occurs. The tendency to form epidermoid cysts does diminish with age, although they can occur at any age.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. I have very fair skin & never sunbathe and stay in the shade when out shopping etc.

Is there any other help? e.g. tablets lotion etc? I have one appearing on my nose it is very painful as it grows and looks so ugly! Wish I didn't have to go to work just to hide away but I must work.

There are no tablets or lotion that have been shown to help with epidermoid cysts. I asked about the type, because cystic acne can respond to various topical treatments, but these same treatments have not been shown to help epidermoid cysts. Since this is on the nose, it may be more of an acne cyst than an epidermoid cyst, and if so, the use of topical benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or a retinoid may help with the cyst.