Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

my mother who is 85 has a AAA that is in excess of 7cm, however

Customer Question

my mother who is 85 has a AAA that is in excess of 7cm, however we are advised that she is to old for an operation and we need some advice.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Is the pain that she is having from the hip or from the AAA?
Could you clarify what advice would be helpful?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The pain she is in, comes from a spur on her hip, it was diagnosed about 12 months ago and she has been waiting and hoping it would lead to surgery, in order that she could walk without any pain. However, the surgeons clearly and understandably, have said No to the hip operation due to the AAA. So I need advice on who could do something like an EVAR, as we were advised that at 85 she is now to old for the AAA operation.

There are many clinical factors that affect surgical risk from surgery for a AAA. Age certainly is a major risk factor, but there are other risk factors, such as kidney dysfunction, hypertension, or heart rhythm disturbances.
Does she have any of these other medical conditions?

If she is looking for a specific physician, could you tell me where she is located?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, apart from the AAA and her hip, she does not have any of the above conditions. She lives in Wrexham North Wales.

The appropriate specialist for her to see would be a Vascular Surgeon. The private Vascular Surgeon also may not want to proceed with surgery, but it would require a proper assessment to determine the amount of risk. There are some 85 year old women that are healthier than others. The clinical studies show that the operative risk for repair of a AAA starts increasing dramatically at age 70, whether the repair is done by an open procedure or an endovascular repair.

I can find two Vascular Surgeons that are close to Wrexham - Rob Fisher and S Vallabhaneni; the phone # for both are 01515221826.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, will see if I can contact them. Thank you

You're welcome.