Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Can I catch HIV through dried blood on a card from Niger in

Can I catch HIV through dried blood on a card from Niger in Africa. I sponsor a little boy in Niger and pay for his schooling. World Vision who I do it through sent me a card with a drawing on it and I alway kiss the card when it comes, as I love children. After I kissed it I noticed what looked like dried blood on it, and I had a fresh cut on my face just below my lips on my chin, can I catch HIV from this? I am so worried and I am just recovering from Breast Cancer so I am very tearful at the moment. I know there is HIV in Africa. Please can you reassure me.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

no you cannot catch HIV in this way

Dr. P. Jyoti :

would you like to chat to clear your doubts?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Hello Jane,

Let me reassure you, there is no way that you can catch HIV in this way.

Absolutely no way.

HIV virus does not survive in the dried state, and it would in no way survive the postal passage.

Dont worry at all about this.

I can empathise with the worry you must have gone through, but I hope this completely assuages your worries. No chance whatsoever of transmission.

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Dr. P. Jyoti
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't no how long the letter has been in the post it could have been sent yesterday from London or this morning first class! This would make the blood fairly fresh and the cut on my face is fresh too
No not at all. Even if sent today morning.

HIV would not be infectious for more than a few minutes on the dry postcard.

There is no chance of transmission at all in this manner.

Let me assure you, there is just no chance of transmission here.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.