Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law,
75100385

I am about to apply for the return of my driving licence after

Customer Question

I am about to apply for the return of my driving licence after drink drive ban (renewal date 2/04/2014). I am an HRO and will need to attend a medical examination. What is considered to be alcohol dependency or abuse by the doctor/DVLA. I drink some alcohol 3 or 4 days a week but do not know if this will mean I will not meet the criteria.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Just to clarify, you only have three or four drinks a week?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will have 3 or 4 pints of beer 3 or 4 days a week

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am still awaiting e reply

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

This is really a medical question so I've opted out and moved it to a different category for you.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

The following guidance is available from the DVLA:

CDT (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin)

The CDT biomarker is reportedly more accurate with the percentage of false positives being relatively low compared to other biomarkers. In a Department of Transport Study (Road Safety Research Report No. 104, 2010), CDT test results were able to identify drinking indicative of harmful or dependent alcohol intake significantly more accurate than other biomarkers.

The CDT test results will operate using a traffic light system of XXXXX, XXXXX and red which will correspond to a range of %CDT cut off levels for licensing purposes.

GREEN - %CDT 3%

A CDT level greater than 3% is considered to be indicative of alcohol consumption in a dependent manner. A person whose CDT levels fall within this range is identified as someone who is dependent on alcohol and a license will be refused.

Therefore it depends. It is better NOT to drink for 5 weeks then you are highly likely to pass.

Jamie-Law,
Experience: