Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi, I have had major surgery over the last few years for Hidradenitis

Hi, I have had major surgery over the last few years for Hidradenitis Suppuritiva and gained some weight, I am now trying to regain a healthy lifestyle and as well as eating a healthy low fat diet have been walking and have gradually been building up intensity and distance to the point that I am doing at least 5 miles a day but up to 10 miles at weekends. Last week I did not walk for 2 days due to a common cold and since then have been experiencing pain in my calves when walking, it starts in my left calf but that goes after I walk up my first steep hill and than moves onto the right calf, I can feel the muscle is tight and stretch and massage it when I get home but wanted to check if it is anything to be concerned about as I did not have this pain prior to having the 2 days off walking. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Hasan :

Hello and thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Is there any calf swelling or redness?

Customer: No my ankles are a bit swollen after walking but they always are but not in the calf
Dr. Hasan :

and no redness?

Customer: Although since I have been walking I have struggled to get my knee length boots on which I assumed was just muscle growth?
Customer: no redness
Dr. Hasan :

Do you have a diagnosed medical problem and are you on any medicines?

Dr. Hasan :

Does this pain comes and goes?

Customer: yes the Hidradenitis and am on analgesic medication, also on the pill
Dr. Hasan :

Which pill ?

Dr. Hasan :

and which analgesic you are on?

Dr. Hasan :

Are you with me?

Customer: the pain starts after I have walked a few hundred yard and continues for my 5 mile walk and then I massage when I get home and it improves during the day but is bad enough initially to have to take pain killers, the pill I am on is millimetre, analgesic is zomorph, gabapentin, diclofenic, Oramorph for breakthrough pain relief, zoop lone and also take lansoprazole
Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Dr. Hasan :

As per description of your symptoms, i am of the opinion that there is nothing to be concerned and nothing to be stressed.

Dr. Hasan :

This sounds like a muscular pain.

Dr. Hasan :

I am not suspecting anything like a blood clot or anything else because in those cases, symptoms have to be persistent and progressive.

Dr. Hasan :

I suggest that along with the pain killers, application of heating pads to the area and massage of the calves with OTC bengay cream cream can help you.

Customer: ok so should I just continue to massage and any ideas as to why it would have suddenly happened when I had been walking before and never had anything until I had a 2 day break and how long should I leave it before seeking advice from my GP if it continues?
Dr. Hasan :

If you can find diclofenac gel over the counter, it would be best.

Dr. Hasan :

Muscular pains can come at any time. There can be one more reason and that is electrolyte imbalance secondary to decreased fluid in take.

Dr. Hasan :

You should drink Gatorade also.

Customer: what is Gatorade?
Dr. Hasan :

You should try the above measures for 5 days and if symptoms persist, see your GP.

Dr. Hasan :

Gatorade is oral rehydrating solution. You can get it from pharmacy, it's over the counter.

Customer: ok thanks for your help will try the above
Dr. Hasan :

If they don't have Gatorade, just ask for oral rehydrating solution (ORS).

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: thank you
Dr. Hasan :

:)

Dr. Hasan :

Welcome

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery