Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have a serious problem but I cant put my finger on it. That

Customer Question

I have a serious problem but I can't put my finger on it. That is a understatement to what is actually happenind because I really can't handle what is going on. I can't make decisions, basic decisions about my personal care, and I become evasive and unable to answer other people honestly. This has slowly gotten worse over the last year to the point where now I am literally making decisions I can't fulfil and then becoming more panicked and restless. This has been accompanied by very bizarre and frightening experiences. I don't sleep. I have tried speaking to the mental health team and my doctor but when they prescribe me medication I take my self off it after a few weeks. Not because I think it is not working but literally a different thougth process takes over and I can't seem to change it. I know I appear depressed or slightly moody to some people, and the problem is not apparent but when I am left alone I start making plans to do things which are completely unrealistic. I keep thinking God is coming through me and trying to change me into a higher being, but it isn't helping because me/ or something else is stopping the process and that society is holding me back. I have very little energy but can occassionally feel very good. For years I seemed to have had this internalized but now I am completely at it's mercy and all I feel I can do is shut myself away and try to suppress all my feelings. I can't tell what are my thoughts and what is real, I believe everything is about me, I can't stop thinking I am trapped in some sort cycle where everything is connected. The energy outside and around people feels very different everywhere and I stop feeling coherent. I keep trying to get help but sometimes in the delay I forget what I am supposed to be doing. My family are all telling me to get help, what they don't realise is that it feels like I am trying to absorb several different points of view and if I can't satisfy them then I can't do it. I am spiralling out of control and am incapable of taking responsibility, it frightens me and the constant evasivness which I can't control make matters worse. I feel torn down the middle, and almost as if I have serveral different personas. I don't know how to get myself sectioned without undermining the truth, because if I seem capable the I get paranoid about what happens next. I have many disturbing thoughts, like the world and the universe are spiralling into hell. I get images in my mind and am often filled with hate for other people. I did breifly fantasize about killing my housemate earlier in the year, but I have not any such thoughts since. I feel like my mind is being eaten by something and that there is a beastly force controlling me.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

what medications have you been prescribed that you have stopped taking?

Dr. David :

you have tried citalopram?

Dr. David :

it can take citalopram 4-8 weeks to start working.

Dr. David :

if you stopped it too early, you might not have given yourself enough time on it.

Customer:

I understand the need to take them for extended periods, but literally I cannot change my thinking and I will just stop.

Dr. David :

I see

Dr. David :

it sounds like you need to be seeing a doctor or a psychotherapist more frequently.

Dr. David :

you should ask your doctor to set you up for psychotherapy counseling sessions,

Dr. David :

possibly once or multiple times a week.

Dr. David :

while you are taking your medication

Dr. David :

would you be willing to see a therapist?

Customer:

Yes very much, I keep getting told CBT is good but I don't know what this means

Dr. David :

cognitive behavioral therapy

Dr. David :

is therapy which helps give you skills to cope with excessive anxiety

Dr. David :

a psychotherapist can help teach you these techniques.

Dr. David :

you have to ask your GP to set you up with a therapist.

Dr. David :

for counseling sessions.

Customer:

I have difficulty in asking for help becuase I don't know what exactly is going on with me,

Customer:

It is only recently that I have become anxious..

Dr. David :

ask your GP to tell you what diagnosis you have.

Dr. David :

you could have generalized anxiety disorder

Customer:

sometimes I can be eurphoric..

Dr. David :

or a mood disorder

Dr. David :

or bipoloar illness.

Customer:

they seem reluctant to give any diagnosis.

Dr. David :

you might need to see a psychiatrist specialist for diagnosis.

Dr. David :

I would ask to be referred to see a psychiatrist for proper diagnosis.

Customer:

..I want to do that, but I become very disorganized and fixate on external problems (housing work etc)

Dr. David :

do you have any other questions?

Customer:

Yes..

Dr. David :

you have to see a psychiatrist.

Customer:

In my medical records there was mentioned that I might be 'schizoid cyclyothemic' when I was 21...

Customer:

I am now 35 and no one has mentioned since seeing them again.

Dr. David :

schizophrenia is when you can loose touch with reality.

Dr. David :

cyclothermic means you can have mood swings up and down.

Dr. David :

you should see a psychiatrist now and see if this diagnosis still applies to you

Dr. David :

and if your medications like citalopram when taken regularly can help .

Dr. David :

cyclothymic is a milder version of bipolar illness.

Dr. David :

but only seeing a psychiatrist will be able to assess if you have bipolar illness or cyclothymia.

Dr. David :

does this make sense?

Dr. David :

I will be back in a moment.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Customer:

Yes, did you say I should see a pyschiatrist on a number of occasions?

Dr. David :

yes, you should see a psychiatrist as soon as possible.

Dr. David :

your GP can refer you to see a psychiatrist.

Customer:

Ok thank you. Is there anything I can do in the meantime, such as homeopathic or dietry things to help reduce any episodes?

Customer:

..or food supplements that can help sleep.

Dr. David :

I would start to take your citalopram medication like your doctor prescribed to you.

Dr. David :

boiled milk can help sleep.

Dr. David :

and use the nitrazepam to help sleep

Dr. David :

also avoiding caffeine

Dr. David :

and exercising regularly daily can help sleep.

Dr. David :

do you exercise?

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions

Customer:

I used to regularly, I tried to keep up with running, but my energy levels have become so depleted I find it difficult to keep the routine. Thank you.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

I hope your energy levels get better.