Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

hi, I got sciatica pain, I was given twice epidural the first

hi, I got sciatica pain, I was given twice epidural the first time it helped for two weeks, and the 2nd time it did not help even once it only got worse, did have a MRI it shows two nervous are trapped and a problem with the disk, the doctor told me to go for therapy what I am doing as well, I have been asked to loose weight I have done this as well, the pain is just getting worse by the minute, I waiting for another doctor appointment, does this mean I will need surgery? if yes what is the complications of this? I am quite worried about this
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.

Dr. D.J. :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Dr. D.J. :

Hi there,

This is Dr. D.J., experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr. D.J. :

I understand your frustration with persistent symptoms.

Dr. D.J. :

Physical therapy and epidural shots help in 90% of cases.

Dr. D.J. :

It may take 2-3 shots and at least 6 weeks of physical therapy to see some improvement in symptoms.

Dr. D.J. :

However, when you fail this regimen, you need to consider surgical options.

Dr. D.J. :

The surgical option includes minimally invasive surgery known as laminectomy and microdiscectomy.

Dr. D.J. :

These procedures aim at releasing pressure on the trapped nerves and prevent any future entrapment by removing the protruding the bones.

Dr. D.J. :

The complications are much less with minimally invasive surgery.

Dr. D.J. :

Like any other surgery there is some risk of infection, bleeding or nerve injury.

Dr. D.J. :

These risks do not usually exceed 2-5% with experienced surgeons.

Dr. D.J. :

The recovery period is usually within 6 to 8 weeks.

Customer:

thank you for the advice, how long does the surgery take

Dr. D.J. :

You will still need some physical therapy after 2 weeks postoperatively.

Dr. D.J. :

The pain symptoms are expected to improve after 7-10days of surgery.

Dr. D.J. :

The surgery does not take more than 2 hours in most cases.

Dr. D.J. :

It is the same day surgery.

Dr. D.J. :

However, you may be kept overnight in the hospital to watch for any anesthesia related complications like breathing problem, drowsiness and also pain management.

Customer:

what is the success rate on this surgery?

Dr. D.J. :

around 90%

Customer:

I got private health care insurance, is it worth having this treatment private or the NHS?

Customer:

as NHS are more geared up for an emergency

Dr. D.J. :

In private you will get it done much faster than in NHS system which may take more than 6 months of wait list.

Dr. D.J. :

this is not emergency but should be done earlierthan 6 months to avoid any further damage to the nerves.

Customer:

I cant wait 6 month, I am in pain,

Dr. D.J. :

yes that is why go private if possible.

Customer:

have you heard from Adrian Casey based in the Wellington

Customer:

I was referred to him and waiting to see him privatly

Dr. D.J. :

He is very well qualified.

Dr. D.J. :

so you can consult with him.

Customer:

or is there any better? that you know of

Customer:

my both epidural was done in the wellington

Dr. D.J. :

In London there is a spine surgery center operated by Mr Peter Hamlyn.

Dr. D.J. :

He is also thought to be very good.

Dr. D.J. :

But you can see Mr casey if he is close by.

Customer:

and was done by consultant Dr Huw Beynon and the actual procedure was done by Thomas Salbuch

Dr. D.J. :

Ok

Customer:

thank you for all your help

Customer:

this is the first time I use this service

Customer:

and I got clear answers

Customer:

have a good day

Dr. D.J. :

very welcome

Dr. D.J. :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
Best wishes,
Please rate the chat Good or Excellent ( smiley faces), if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD