Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Is endometriosis in the ovary a cause for concern in relation

Is endometriosis in the ovary a cause for concern in relation to ovarian cancer?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Before I answer can you tell me more about your condition?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had an operation to repair a few issues after pregnancy and endometriosis was discovered in my ovary together with scar tissue from an ovarian cyst which was removed a few years earlier. I was treated with decopeptil and had an exploratory endoscopy to check that my bowel had not been affected as there was an adhesion to the bowel. I decided not to proceed with another operation, however I am considering whether to revisit this situation. This was 6 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Karen--what further operation was suggested by your doctor that you declined?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The doctor said that nothing was urgently in need of being done and apart from minor stress incontinence I have been free of problems since. I do not want to have an operation unless it is strictly necessary.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Karen. There is only a very small risk of developing ovarian cancer with endometriosis so I don't feel anything more needs to be done other than regular exams and an ultrasound from time to time. Here's a Mayo link about all that for you

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/endometriosis/expert-answers/endometriosis/FAQ-20057966