DrHelen
DrHelen, Doctor
Experience:  UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine
74902962

Hi, I have been diagnosed with GAD. I have just had 7 days

Customer Question

Hi, I have been diagnosed with GAD. I have just had 7 days off work after a bad anxiety atrack. My work have asked for a doctor's note but I haven't been to the doctors about it this time because I have been refereed for counselling so am waiting for it. Where do I stand with getting a dov note?
Expert:  DrHelen replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am Dr Helen, a UK doctor.

You can self certify for one working week without a doctor's note. Your employer should have the necessary form for you to fill in.

Here is the government advice page about this:

https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave

Once you are off for more than 7 days you do need a note from your GP but this shouldn't be a problem as you have already been diagnosed with the same illness that has caused you to be off sick and are waiting for a referral for counselling.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Best wishes.

I joined JustAnswer in June 2013 and am a UK doctor. I have been qualified for 23 years and have widespread experience in GP and cancer care.