Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi Doctor I need your help my mum is 46yrs she is suffering

Hi Doctor
I need your help my mum is 46yrs she is suffering scleroderma and rematisse and also she have very dryness and stretch skin she feel like he skin will break she is on treatment but still she feel the same a little bit of improvement is it dangerous or is there any treatment it almost 1 year that she is suffering first it start when she was working in a cold place and back to warm place after work can you please tell me what kind of treatment she need
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Has her doctor said whether the disease is affecting her in any location other than her skin?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The doctor didn't tell her anything just all the symptoms she is having is due to this disease and also she is something suffering about her hand cannot close properly and getting hard and pain in the joint finger or elbow
When she refer those symptoms to the doctor he said it due to the disease
Scleroderma is a disease in which the soft tissue tightens. In most people this is essentially or primarily affect the sift tissue under the skin, which is why it is called scleroderma (sclero = hardening and derma = skin).

However, in some people the scleroderma can affect deep organs of the body, including the heart or lungs. When you ask whether it is dangerous, the effect on the skin is not dangerous (although it can cause significant symptoms), but if she is one of the people that is affected in her deep organs, it can cause dysfunction of those organs. For example, if it affects her heart, it can cause congestive heart failure, or if it affects her lungs, it can cause pulmonary fibrosis and decreased lung function.

Treatment would depend upon the severity of the disease. Milder cases frequently require no treatment at all, and spontaneous improvement without treatment can occur. If it is more severe, then the usual approach is to use medicines that suppress the immune system, such as the methotrexate that she is taking. If that is not effective, there are several others that can be considered, including azathioprine, cyclophosphamide, and mycophenolate. Penicillamine also can be used to try to limit fibrosis associated with the disease. If she develops any of the complications related to organ dysfunction, then there are medicines that may be used for the respective organ dysfunction.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is asking if this make her getting thinner and related to rematisse
And also she is following with a rematologics is a rematologics for this kind of disease or she has to see another doctor which is relative to this symptom
And also when she is on fast movement she has palpitation of heart
She will like to know what she has to do
The tightening of the skin related to scleroderma can cause the person to be thinner.

Yes, a Rheumatologist would be the appropriate specialist for primary management of these problems, but if there is involvement of any of the deep organs, than an assessment by that specialist may be appropriate. The Rheumatologist would be the appropriate doctor to consider whether using a different medicine to suppress the immune system would be appropriate.

If she is having palpitations, that also can be caused by the scleroderma affecting the heart. It would be appropriate for her to be evaluated by a Cardiologist. Some heart rhythms that cause palpitations are benign, but some are serious and may need specific treatment.