Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have been convinced for years I have a thyroid problem, yet

Customer Question

I have been convinced for years I have a thyroid problem, yet my blood tests are always normal. I think doctors think I'm a hypochondriac. I've been having tests for years re extreme tiredness. I find it difficult to lose weight more so lately. I have so many symptoms, foggy thinking, fatigue, always cold, often pins and needles, insomnia at times, dry hair/skin/nails, low moods.. I also have ADHD (although I think I could have been wrongly diagnosed - I don't have the 'hyperactivity' part - I'm sure it could be thyroid related) I've been told today Chronic fatigue, but I'm sure its not, Im sure its hormone related, whether thyroid or something else. My recent levels are t4 11.5 pmol/L, tsh 0.75.. can you tell me anything more?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your queries.
Your thyroid hormone levels definitely are normal and nothing to worry about as far as the thyroid function is concerned.
However, having said that, I would like that you should have salivary or blood cortisol levels done to see whether you have either too high or too low cortisol which may be the cause of your symptoms.
If you have not had a cortisol level done then I would strongly recommend that you have that done.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Rate me for my services when you are done asking.
Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.. I will rate you in a minute, but what would that mean then if i have too high or low symptoms? Could it be any other hormone related thing either?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
If its low it means that you are having adrenal fatigue or Addison's disease. If its high then you are having what is called as Cushing's Syndrome.
With the symptoms that you are mentioning this is the only hormone that I can think of at the moment.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me when you are done.