DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I will be 40years in July , I have been trying to conceive

Customer Question

I will be 40years in July , I have been trying to conceive for ten years infertile due to hyperthyroidism Graves but had complete thyroid surgery in 2011 Was pregnant on first cycle IVF but miscarried at 16 wks in 2012. Tried second time in 2013 MC at 21 wks in Dec 2013 I still want to try again but afraid that it might be as a result of my thyroid I did a test last wk as am still on my pregnancy dosage of 150mcg as against 100 mcg pre pregnancy of Eltroxin and having some hyper symptoms my current results are
FT4. 14.5. Ref 7.2 - 16.4 pmol/l, FT3. 3.9. Ref 3.8 - 6.0 pmol/l , STSH. 0.07. L. Ref 0.37 - 3.5 miu/l, thyroid per oxidase Ab. 136.6 H. Ref. 0 - 9 iu/ ml and thyroglubin antibody. 15.9. H. Ref. 0 - 4.0 iu/ ml pls advise as I feel my dosage is too high and what do I do to achieve a live birth with my condition help me
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Your dose is slightly too high.

You are into the hyperthyroid range.

You should undergo a slight reduction of dose.

TSH should be around .8 to 1.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [click reply to expert].
Please to not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response but can you tell me something about the thyroid antibodies. Do they cause miscarriage
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No
It is the thyroid disease itself.
The antibodies attack the thyroid. They are part of the cause of the thyroid problems.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [Click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So what do I do to reduce or correct these antibodies. What medication should I take and what dosage
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

You can't do anything much about the antibodies, but you are on too much thyroid medicine, and that should be reduced, as I said in my first answer.

Regular medicine has nothing to get rid of your antibodies, it simply treats the thyroid.

An anti-autoimmune diet might be helpful

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [Click reply to expert]. Please do not forget a positive rating.

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your response , my dosage was reduced to 50mcg and now to 100mcg and the result came back today T4. 11.1;
T3. 3.3 and TSH 4.8 at the above reference range . Is it that the dose is still low am getting tired of this dose changes as am forgetful with mood swinges etc . Pls I need help
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Optimal TSH in treated patients is .8 to 1.

But the dose should not be changed until the TSH is looked at 6 to 8 weeks after the last dose change.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Here are the analysis of my result
Date. FT4 FT3. STSH. Dose
1/2/14. 14.5. 3.9. 0.07. 150mcg
15/3/14. 8.5. 3.0L. 12.88H. 50mcg
12/4/14. 12.7. 3.2L. 5.69H. 100mcg
12/5/14. 11.1. 3.3L. 4.8H. 100mcg
What do you advice with this pattern do i still wait or ask for a review am getting worried , is there nothing else to be done
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
TSH is still too high, as I said.\
Six weeks after the last dose adjustement, you should have another TSH and go from there.