Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I was prescribed 1mg of Lorazepam three times a day by a NHS

I was prescribed 1mg of Lorazepam three times a day by a NHS Psychiatrist, I have been on this medication for over three years, I suffer panic attacks and acute anxiety along with all consuming depression. I have made quite a few serious attempts at taking my own life in the past, however apart from the odd glitch i have been quite steady for some time now.
I am also prescribed Venlaflaxine 150mg once per day.
seroquel 25 mg at night.
omeprazole 40 mg per day.
I am currently five days into alcohol detoxification, I was doing extremely well until i got the following news.... i was told not to take Lorazepam at the same time as the Librium prescribed by a specialist at the detox centre. Unfortunately i have had to take two 1mg of Lorazepam per day against their advice (I have not admitted this to anyone)
My GP has given me two weeks supply of Lorazepam to begin on monday. She only did this because my detox specialist spent hours trying to convince her that i would be very sick without them. I had never been able to cope with my life comfortably until i was prescribed Lorazepam, I am now panicking as my GP had taken Lorazepam completely off of my weekly prescription I can't afford private consultation or prescriptions as i am on sickness benefits....I just don't know what to do..I have read many articles online that contradict short term use only...I am totally addicted to Lorazepam, the longest i have gone without is 24 hrs I could not even stand after that period of time due to dizziness and head twitching. I actually felt like i was about to have a seizure.
I am in sheer panic and beside myself with worry and I need help desperately
Please help me.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I"m Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can I ask your first name?

Customer:

hello Dr Phil, sorry for my slow response i am getting confused.....my name is Chris

Dr. Phil, MD :

No problem

Dr. Phil, MD :

So are you on any benzo now?

Dr. Phil, MD :

or both librium and lorazepam are gone?

Customer:

I am on Librium 20mg today, reduced to 10mg tomorrow...but i have also been taking Lorazepam 1mg twice a day

Dr. Phil, MD :

I see

Dr. Phil, MD :

You should be fine as long as you are on librium

Customer:

yes, i understand that but my librium will finish very soon next wednesday i think

Dr. Phil, MD :

okay that is too soon

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can your doctor refill librium?

Customer:

my GP has not prescribed the librium, it has been prescribed by a clinic

Dr. Phil, MD :

can the clinic continue it or will the GP be willing?

Customer:

no, when my course finishes that will be it although they will support me with talking and group therapy

Dr. Phil, MD :

did you ask the GP?

Customer:

yes, i am quite sure my gp thinks that the librium being tapered will be enough benzo treatment to end my lorazepam too... as i said i have been on lorazepam for 3 years

Dr. Phil, MD :

I think you have no choice now but to be honest with everyone

Dr. Phil, MD :

That will be a good start to your sobriety

Dr. Phil, MD :

And your GP will know that it is dangerous to just stop the lorazepam

Dr. Phil, MD :

They can continue it out for a bit longer

Customer:

up until i was prescribed Lorazepam my life was hell...this depression and anxiety has been present for 10 years....if lorazepam is discontinued i fear what will happen...i can't go through it all again

Dr. Phil, MD :

You can do it

Dr. Phil, MD :

It will be different this time without drugs/alcohol

Customer:

ok

Dr. Phil, MD :

I believe in you and you have to believe in yoursel

Dr. Phil, MD :

yourself

Dr. Phil, MD :

it is part of getting sober

Customer:

I just don't know what to say....I am obviously going to have to try and see a psychiatrist...i am lost for words...sorry

Dr. Phil, MD :

Yes, you will

Dr. Phil, MD :

That is part of healing too

Dr. Phil, MD :

Chris, this is the start of a long journey

Dr. Phil, MD :

I know you are scared

Dr. Phil, MD :

But you have to be strong

Dr. Phil, MD :

And find the strength in yourself to get better

Dr. Phil, MD :

You are not the only addict that has faced this

Dr. Phil, MD :

you will face it an come out the other side and be okay

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Phil, MD :

Chris, do you have a family?

Customer:

no

Dr. Phil, MD :

none at all? No parents?

Customer:

im divorced and live alone...I have been alone for almost ten years..i only go out if i have to...I drank alone, i do everything alone

Dr. Phil, MD :

I'm sorry Chris

Dr. Phil, MD :

Maybe sobriety will open some doors for you

Dr. Phil, MD :

I have hope for you deep in my heart Chris.

Customer:

my only family is my 2 children that live in Dublin...i am in birmingham

Dr. Phil, MD :

I'm sure your kids want to see you sober Chris

Customer:

i have not seen them in seven years due to a restraining order...they don't even know me

Dr. Phil, MD :

Oh wow.

Dr. Phil, MD :

If that isn't a reason to get sober, I don't know what it

Dr. Phil, MD :

is

Dr. Phil, MD :

you can do it my friend :)

Customer:

ok, i have to go..thank you for you're support

Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome Chris

Dr. Phil, MD :

Let me know how you are doing in a few days

Dr. Phil, MD :

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)

Customer:

ok thank you

Dr. Phil, MD :

welcome :)

Dr. Phil, MD :

just click the excellent face to close the chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

the rating feature was disabled

Dr. Phil, MD :

can you try again. sorry my bad

Customer:

it will not let me click?

Dr. Phil, MD :

try again

Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)