Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Dear Doctor My left ankle has swollen and the left leg on

Dear Doctor

My left ankle has swollen and the left leg on the outside is sore. I have been sat at my desk most of the day, should I be worried? Can I jus take a pain killer?

Penny
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi Penny--has this ever happened before and is it just the ankle or is more of your leg swollen? I assume there's no trauma involved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, there is no trauma. When on holiday I walked a couple of miles and the ankle swelled up and was painful for a couple of days,

The pain is about an inch up from the ankle joint. The leg is warm and tender to the touch.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Penny. I think you need to have this evaluated right away with an exam and a venous ultrasound of the leg. It sounds as though you have a deep venous thrombosis--a clot in a leg vein--and that can lead to a life-threatening pulmonary embolus if not treated quickly with blood thinners. It would be best for you to see a doctor about this now or as soon as possible.