Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have aches in my arms and pins and needles in hands. This

Customer Question

I have aches in my arms and pins and needles in hands. This has been going on for twelve months. All blood tests are fine. Rheumatologist says mechanical and so does physiotherapist but I am not convinced as feel so ill.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you are having aches in your arms and pins and needles in your hands.

Dr. David :

this could be due to a pinched nerve or carpel tunnel syndrome.

Dr. David :

why are you convinced that it is not mechanical?

Dr. David :

have you had a wrist MRI scan to check for carpel tunnel syndrome?

Customer: I have not had any scans or X-rays. My doctor did blood tests to rule out carpal tunnel. I have had these aches for so long now along with other problems, weight gain, soothing pain in lower back. I feel the doctor thinks it's all in my head. I only started physio today and have been given neck exercise to do. I just can't see how the aches in my arms and hands are related to mechanics but there again I am not a doctor! I just feel so ill and at my wits end with this. I don't get any relief from it. I work at computer all day as a personal assistant which doesn't help and am thinking about giving up work because of it. Rheumatologist has told doctor no further investigation required! I have early osteo arthritis
Dr. David :

working at a computer all day puts you at risks for carpel tunnel syndrome.

Dr. David :

blood work does not really rule out carpel tunnel syndrome.

Dr. David :

you need an ultrasound of your wrist to check for pinched nerves in the wrist.

Dr. David :

you could also have a pinched nerve in your spine or neck from your osteoarthritis causing pain in your arms.

Dr. David :

you do need further investigation.

Customer: Thank you I do feel I need scan of some sort. I think the more I am stressing the worse the pain is getting! I do try to keep a positive mind but it is very difficult. Sometimes the aches radiate throughout my whole body not just arms and hands. The doctor just thinks that because my bloods are ok that I am fine and hopefully I will just go away! Thank you for your advice.
Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

I hope you get some headway towards diagnosis.

Dr. David :

keep pressing for imaging scan of your spine and your wrist.

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done, please leave +++ positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area below

Dr. David :

you can always reach me as Dr. David if you have other questions.

Customer: Thank you I will. Off to take more tablets now!