Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Hello Dr.Shahzad,I wonder if you could throw some light on

Hello Dr.Shahzad,I wonder if you could throw some light on severe pain I have had for 20 years or more in my esophagus/chest area,not frequent sometimes ok for months which seems to flair up when sitting down/lying in bed and can go right up to a 10,the pain often comes up my throat and even my tongue hurts,it doesn't feel like heartburn or indigestion or acid stomach and I cannot find any way of relieving it and it takes an hour or two to subside,I once saw my doctor but he just gave me some horse tablets which had no effect,thank you for your time,John.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Welcome

Customer:

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So this pain happens in episodes?

Customer:

yes not regular i had one yesterday and before that maybe a month ago

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Does anything seem to precipitate it like cold water or some sort of food?

Customer:

no it comes anytime but as an ex truck driver of 30yrs that i think used to aggravate it

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Does it happen more when you are lying down in the bed or when you are up and about?
Has it ever woken you up from your sleep?

Customer:

yes it happens in bed but more during the day when driving or sitting

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you ever tried any treatment in the form of medications like omeprazole or esomeprazole?

Customer:

no sorry never heard of them are they over the counter?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

They are over the counter in some countries like USA but not in UK so I am not sure about your country. But it usually comes by the name of prilosec to name one brand and the esomeprazole comes by the name of nexium which is one of the well known brands.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you ever tried anything of that sort?

Customer:

no

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that you should try this at a dose of 40 mg once daily for at least four to eight weeks to see if it helps.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Another possibility is that of diffuse esophageal spasm.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Even the first line treatment for that is omeprazole or esomeprazole.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Other medications that can be tried for DES are calcium channel blockers or nitrates.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should however discuss the possibility of diffuse esophageal spasm with your gastro doctor or your GP on your next visit.

Customer:

ok thanks i will but i bought some iubuprofin today as an anti iflamatory do you think this may help

Dr. Shahzad MD :

that may actually do more harm than good.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So I would not recommend that.

Customer:

thank you for the advice

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Good bye :)