Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

Twelve years ago I suffered a dissection of the aorta, and

Customer Question

Twelve years ago I suffered a dissection of the aorta, and MRI showed lesions at T9/10 and T11. Since then I enjoyed reduced mobility with a degree of numbness at umbillicus and below in all areas, together with a nagging pain which increased gradually when walking to severe at around 300/400 Yards.
Just over one year ago, it was deemed necessary to undergo a TURPS procedure under an epidural anaesthetic. I recovered well from this, but my mobility has deteriorated quite rapidly, so that my balance is seriously affected when walking, and I am obliged to use a wheelchair beyond walking for just a few yards, or else I suffer chronic pain in the abdominal region which ascends gradually into my upper chest region.
The increased pain seems to spring almost exactly from the area around where the epidural injection was made. Is it possible that this injection could have exacerbated the pain and other neurological problems already in existence followin the dissection?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No
This is not from the epidural at this point.
However, it can be from further degeneration of the spine.
Have you had a lumbar spine mri scan?