DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have been in remission from nephrotic syndrome due to minimal

I have been in remission from nephrotic syndrome due to minimal change disease Today there is protein in my urine but no swelling. Will this necessarily progress to nephrotic syndrome with the swelling and need for steroids or might it abate? Is there anything I can do to stop it progessing?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It might abate
What is your diet
Tell me meal to meal, typical day
In complete detail please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Muesli with hazelnuts and milk

Salad with ham

Meat / fish with veg
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Bad bad bad.

I can't believe your doctors have not put you on a vegetable protein only diet, which helps stop kidney disease.

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. [Click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have had over the last week and had alcohol at each. Does this have an adverse effect on the condition?

Not sure what the colon function ,mentioned in your reply, has to do with the kidneys.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Colon function improving stabilizes the immune system, and your disease is autoimmune.

You should not be drinking alcohol at all.

If you see Dr. Fuhrman's book called Super Immunity, this again will scientifically explain the diet, why it works, and how to do it.

I would ask your doctors right now to refer you to a dietitian for a vegetable protein only diet, but would not rest with that, and would take it further into super immunity.

Please do not forget a positive rating.