Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

This is an embarrassing question which needs to be answered

This is an embarrassing question which needs to be answered prior to surgery to aid a satisfactory recovery. I am 59 years old and am due to have an inguinal hernia repair (T2012 Laparascopic repair of left and ? right inguinal hernias) on 19 February.
I am worried that I may unavoidably hamper my own recovery by masturbating which is a physical need rather than a choice (I find I need to masturbate every three days or my body becomes too tight and bowel movement is restricted).
The hernia does not hurt, probably gets a bit sore after walking for one hour (although the degree to which the soreness has been due to a fungal infection is unclear).
The surgeon said that my hernia is not urgent and the risk of strangulation is negligible.
I am generally in good health, have supervised gym once a week and attend an indoor cycling class, I an not badly over weight (13st 6lb, 5 ft 10"). I have a history of asthma which has been very mild since I have been an adult. It takes me longer to urinate than it did and I use toilet paper to remove any drips.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Customer:

Dr. Shahzad MD :

just a minute as I read your question fully

Dr. Shahzad MD :

so your surgery is on 19th of Feb?

Customer:

Yes and pre-operative checks tomorrow

Dr. Shahzad MD :

After surgery if you could avoid masturbation for 10 days at least that would be great.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If you could abstain for 10 days that would do.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

However even if you masturbate a couple of times during these ten days it should not cause any problems as far as I am concerned.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The risk is minimal to say the least.

Customer:

OK, how would I overcome the bowel movement problem?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You could take some fiber supplements like metamucil

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If that does not help then milk of magnesia or other stool softeners could be used during that period of time.

Customer:

Ok so you think I should be able to work around this.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am pretty sure you would be able to work around this.

Customer:

I should be able to go on short walks from Saturday so this should help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Should help

Customer:

Does the fact that the fungal infection hasn't quite cleared up have any significance?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

No

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I do not think it should cause any problems.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If there is some signs of infection remaining you can take OTC miconazole skin cream to help.

Customer:

Do you think it generally sensible to have an operation if you not actually ill?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I do not think that you are ill. A skin fungal infection is not something that would cause any issues

Customer:

Sorry, my question was not clear. I am talking about the inguinal hernia surgery again. As I can do pretty well everything, have no pain but just a bit of a lump, is it sensible for me to take the risk of surgery?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Sorry misunderstood

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand that you are pretty well but a hernia should always be repaired

Dr. Shahzad MD :

As complications can happen sometime, anytime.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its a very safe surgery, you will be fine.

Customer:

OK I think I am good to go for surgery then. Any last thoughts on how to help myself to have a good recovery?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Just try to relax your mind and not think about surgery too much.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Its not something that should cause you any major problems at all.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

No other special advice :)

Customer:

Thank you for your help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Take care
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services before you leave by clicking on one of the smilies below. I hope I provided excellent services.
Good bye :)

Customer:

Good bye. I will give good feedback as you have tackled the problem head on and have been sensitive about it.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am glad that I was able to help :)

Dr. Shahzad MD :

God bless you.