Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

i get a really itchy bottom sometimes (especially with tight

i get a really itchy bottom sometimes (especially with tight trousers) or after passing poo. I have looked and can see 3 white coloured spots
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

how long have you had this itching?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello I was trying to chat live with you but this does not seem to be working. I am now switching to the Q&A mode. Please hold on while I type out your answer. Do not rate now though the system may prompt you. I will be back with your answer in a couple of minutes.

Hello Tom,

This condition of itchy anus is called Pruritus Ani.

There could be several causes for this, including pin worm, mucous leak due to stretching, infection, etc.

Most commonly it is due to irritant dermatitis due to vigorous use of toilet paper, scratching, etc. This leads to a vicious cycle in which the more the person scratches, the more it itches and so on. Such vigorous itching can lead to bleeding sometimes. THe white spots are due to dermatitis.

You have to try to break this cycle. You can try the following OTC medicines:
Tab. Claritin (OTC) 1 tab. once daily.
1% Hydrocortisone cream (OTC).
Avoid scratching.
Use soft toilet paper.
Do not use soap, etc. in the area.

Once the cycle is broken, you will usually get relief from this.

You can try this home treatment. This will help if it is due only to contact dermatitis, but will not help in case of other causes like pinworms. So you should not try this for long. If it does ease in about 5 days, or you have new symptoms like pain, then you need to go to the doctor at once.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.