Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My teenage son, aged 17 and a twin, has depression: diagnosed

My teenage son, aged 17 and a twin, has depression: diagnosed and confirmed by his GP. It started a few weeks ago with feeling generally down and sad, but then accelerated sharply due to his mother's alcoholism. In the past I had managed to keep her periodic drunk episodes away from my children, but now I cannot do that and they saw the full horrific effects of how she behaves when drunk. In front of them she was abusive, asked them to kill me, vomited on them and screamed and shouted about all sorts of things including sex. One of the twins left home and is happy, but the other is now very depressed and says his brain no longer works. He was a high-flyer at school, doing the first year of A' Levels (maths, further maths, chemistry, biology) and expected to get grades A or A star in all subjects. Now his academic performance has crashed downwards and he has done no homeword for 2 weeks and complains he cannot think and cannot work. The GP said first appointment with psychiatric help is 2-6 months away. I will borrow money if necessary to pay for treatment etc now rather than leave this. Online I have seen lots of volunteers and self-help groups, but cannot find any professional who is experienced in dealing with this issue. I would be very grateful if you could recommend a professional who knows what to do! Many thanks.
David [email protected]
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am so sorry for your son.

Dr. David :

he needs to be started on an antidepressant

Dr. David :

and also see a psychotherapist so he can talk out his feelings and work through some of his depressive feelings.

Dr. David :

your GP can refer him to see a counselor or psychotherapist.

Dr. David :

where in the UK are you and your son

Dr. David :

there are websites that do list counselors who can help with psychotherapy counseling

Dr. David :

for depression

Customer:

Hi Dr David

Customer:

TYhan

Dr. David :

you are welcome.

Dr. David :

has he been started on an antidepression pill?

Dr. David :

what is TYhan?

Customer:

Thanks for your reply, but it does not really help, unfortunately. In my question, I said that we have spoken to his GP and he has referred my son to help but the first appointment will be in 2-6 months. During that time he might deteriorate and he will fall even further behind in his school work. I asked the question in this website: where can we go to get professional help? In Google there are lots of self-help ideas and volunteers, but in my question I asked if you can recommend any professional help which we can approach now, rather than wait a few months.

Customer:

Thyan is a typing error! Please ignore, thanks.

Dr. David :

yes, I need your location in the uk to help you find a therapist for him.

Dr. David :

I also asked if he was started on an antidepression pill

Customer:

London N10 (Muswell Hill)

Dr. David :

if not, it sounds like he needs to start to take an antidepressant.

Customer:

No, not on any pills or treatment yet

Dr. David :

there are counselors close by

Dr. David :

Ian Michie Counselling 49 Muswell Hill Pl, London N10 3RP, United Kingdom ‎ 0.1 mi SW +44 7773 797841 ‎ · londontherapy.bacp.co.uk

Dr. David :

McInerney Philippa 82 Muswell Hill Pl, London N10 3RR, United Kingdom ‎ 288 ft SW +44 20 8444 1090

Dr. David :

North London Stress Management Centre Queens Ave, London N10 3PE, United Kingdom ‎ 0.3 mi W +44 20 8444 4871 ‎ · londonstressmanagement.com

Dr. David :

I would call these locations and see if they work with teens with depression and see how much they cost

Dr. David :

and if you can get him into a counseling session there.

Dr. David :

and see if he likes it and if it helps.

Dr. David :

and get a follow up appointment with his GP to start an antidepression medication.

Customer:

I can try that, thanks. But do you know of any that are experienced with teenage depression, or am I asking too much detail?

Dr. David :

Family Constellations UKXXXXX London N10 3NR, United Kingdom ‎ 0.2 mi NW +44 20 8444 6712 ‎ · familyconstellationsuk.com

Dr. David :

some counselors may have that experience.

Dr. David :

you have to call around and see.

Dr. David :

if they can't help, they might be able to point to a psychotherapist close to you who is experienced with teens.

Customer:

ok, many thanks.

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave +++ positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the ratings area below.

Dr. David :

you can always reach me as Dr. David if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

is my website if you need to reach me again.

Dr. David :

positive feedback is how we get credit for helping clients here.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com