Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi, I am a 38 year old female. Since I was in my early

I am a 38 year old female. Since I was in my early twenties, I have been extremely susceptible to tonsilitis and bronchitis, and seem to be on antibiotics much more than my family and friends, I seem to be more severely affected than others who take similar infections at the same time, and it takes me longer to recover. Over the past year, it has been getting progressively worse, and each bout of infection leaves me feeling weaker and more exhausted. I do like to exercise, but it is becoming more and more difficult due to the fatigue. Over the past year, things have been getting worse, and I am at the end of my tether. My GP ran some routine tests (thyroid function, blood sugar, full blood count, ESR) and all came back clear/normal, but I'm becoming more and more convinced there is something wrong with my immune system. My doctor just seems to say that it's a bad winter (but I don't get much relief in summer) and that I should eat a healthy diet (which I always have done - in particular, I eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables and very little processed food). Other things that may have no significance but I thought I should mention are frequent mouth ulcers, frequent boils on my back and shoulders, itchy skin with no dryness or rash and some verrucae which I can't get rid of. Are there any immune disorders that could cause all this, and should I be asking my doctor to carry out more tests (eg immunoglobulin, t-cell function, immune response) or refer me to a specialist?

Five I have had an ovary removed due to a large cyst, during which my bowel was damaged leading to a pelvic abscess, septicemia and kidney failure. I had further surgery to remove the abscess 3 months later and 10 months after that I had a hysterectomy due to endometriosis.

Thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can I ask your first name?

Customer:

Moira

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Moira

Dr. Phil, MD :

Nice to meet you

Dr. Phil, MD :

I agree with you here

Dr. Phil, MD :

You definitely need an immune workup

Dr. Phil, MD :

I would advise a referral to an immunologist

Dr. Phil, MD :

You should have T cell subsets, complement, and immunoglobulins checked to start

Dr. Phil, MD :

This could be a variety of immune disorders

Dr. Phil, MD :

CVID is one example that is common

Customer:

Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome Moira

Dr. Phil, MD :

any more questions for me?

Customer:

I have read a bit on the internet about CVID. How is it treated?

Dr. Phil, MD :

It depends on how severe it is

Dr. Phil, MD :

some folks need immunoglobulin

Dr. Phil, MD :

infusions every few months that is

Customer:

Thanks for this. It is good information for me to take to my doctor.

Dr. Phil, MD :

you're welcome Moira

Dr. Phil, MD :

Any more questions for me on this?