Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi. I have a slight metallic taste in my mouth and a coated

Customer Question

Hi. I have a slight metallic taste in my mouth and a coated white tongue. It's only light but is definitely white. The taste has been in my mouth for about 4 days.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

if you have a thick white coating on the tongue that you can scrape off, this is a sign of thrush fungal infection of the mouth.

Dr. David :

metallic taste in the mouth can come from acid reflux up the esophagus

Dr. David :

or a sinus infection.

Dr. David :

or a tooth infection.

Dr. David :

do you have a history of acid reflux?

Customer:

It's not a thick white coating - it's just that the tongue has a light white coating on it. Acid reflux - not that I know of? I do have some sinus history with headaches in the past.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

then it doesn't sound like a thrush infection.

Dr. David :

acid reflux is very common

Dr. David :

and can be silent. but sometimes can cause heart burn type symptoms or upset stomach pains.

Dr. David :

if you have post nasal drip or runny nose, this can cause a metallic taste in your mouth as well

Dr. David :

are you using sudafed to help clear your sinuses?

Customer:

Dont have any other symptoms really - just the metallic taste in my mouth and on further inspection a very light white coating on the tongue. I dont have a runny nose but I guess it tastes a bit like post nasal drip - but would that last more than a couple of days?

Dr. David :

you might need a course of antibiotics to help clear up a bacterial sinus infection.

Dr. David :

if you have a bacterial sinus infection, it can last a long time until you get a course of antibiotics.

Customer:

I used sudafed as I read online i t could be sinus. I did have sinus relaed issues a few months ago when my ears didnt unblock properly after a couple of flights - they kept blocking and unblocking whenever I blew nose.

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

sounds like you need to see an ENT doctor

Dr. David :

have you been on a course of antibiotics yet?

Dr. David :

you might need that to help.

Dr. David :

and if that doesn't help, you might need a sinus CT scan to see if you might need sinus surgery to help clear your sinus drainage.

Customer:

no I did take amoxicillin whilst away but I dont think it did much - I will go to the doctor and see if they suggest anything else maybe.

Customer:

I had a CT scan a year ago as I was having headaches related to sinusisitis and anxiety - the scan didnt pick up anything noticeable but I dont think they were looking for sinus issues.

Dr. David :

you might need a nasal steroid spray and allergy medications to help decrease nasal congestion.

Dr. David :

a nasal steroid spray like nasonex or flonase.

Customer:

ok thank you - that makes sense. I will try that. I have a doctors appointment booked so will see if they suggest anything else. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt anything serious?

Dr. David :

no, it doesn't sound serious.

Dr. David :

don't let your anxiety get out of control

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Customer:

thanks

Dr. David :

if done, please leave +++ positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

sorry.

Dr. David :

try again.

Dr. David :

can you leave feedback one more time.